Wednesday, December 3, 2008

We are all mortal.

We are all dying. It’s the only thing we know with all certainty in life. Of late, there are times I lie awake at night simply trying to comprehend my own nonexistence. One day we will die, and life will go on without us seemingly unaware that we’re no longer there. The world keeps turning, night becomes day and day becomes night, life on Earth continues but none of it will exist for us. We won’t be there to see what tomorrow brings. Yet, nothing really changes once we’re gone. Those who knew us will grieve and let go, and we’ll exist as nothing more than a memory that lasts their lifetime. With each generation, the memory of us fades. Eventually, our memory will not even hold its mark in this world. One day, it will be like we were never here in the first place.

So I lie there, and close my eyes, and try to comprehend my own nonexistence.

It’s impossible...
and something else I won’t exist to see, in the end.


(I think too much.)

-

I can't believe its December. This year has been nothing but a blur. I actually can't wait to wave goodbye to 2008, which is unusual for me since I usually dislike it when each year comes to a close. I'm a bit sentimental in that it makes me sad that it will never ever be that year again, but this year all I am is glad.

I have one exam to go and an essay to do, then that's it. I never have a clue what to do with myself during the holidays! I honestly enjoy classes more than holiday time, that's probably a reflection of how much I love and enjoy psychology.

Everything has changed this year.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm really not sure how i stumbled across your spot here, but i really enjoyed the first half of this post. and it's true. thanks for making me contemplative =]

-travis

Danielle Kiemel said...

Thanks :)

Beth Niquette said...

I nearly died last year. There was a 33 percent chance I would live. I can see you have faced something incredibly difficult, too. Take care, dear One. There is a purpose to everything.